Popular Posts

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Some Sugar and Spice, but what to do with it....?

I think it's very important to know what herbs and spices pair with meals that you can make. It's not going to come to you overnight, and sometimes a recipe calls for something that you know you don't like and you need to come up with an alternative.

I watch Food Network a lot. Like I said, it was my inspiration to get into the kitchen. But I listen to what they say. What they think something tastes like or how they prepare a certain meal. Believe it or not, I absorbed SOOO MANY facts about the ingredients I can cook with.

I do have my "circle" of flavors that I do like to use. But I know how to use them very well.

Cilantro, preferably fresh, is my FAVORITE herb. The smell of it alone is just magnificent. Try to stick with just the leafy parts of the cilantro (smaller stems are edible too though). Cilantro pairs well with tomato, corn, chicken, and in sauces. Mexican type of dishes are what I use cilantro the most for. I've made it into a cilantro sour cream sauce for my enchiladas, and this stuff tastes AMAZING.

I like using a touch of Cayenne Pepper every once in a while. But taster beware, this stuff has a kick. It can over power your dish, so a touch really goes a long way. It's best described as just hot. So you have to know what type of heat you are going for.

Thyme, I prefer dry in this case, it goes well with chicken and fish. It's fresh like lemon and pairs well with it in a sauce or marinade.

Cinnamon, not always used for sweet dishes. While cinnamon is mixed great with sugar and used as a topping for toast or sweet potato fries, it can also be used in savory dishes. Cinnamon is used a lot in Middle Eastern dishes, such as with chicken or lamb.

Brown Sugar, so sweet and good. I LOVE brown sugar. Brown sugar is just sugar with molasses, it feels almost damp to the touch and this yummy sugar can go in so many things. It pairs with sweet potatoes, in a BBQ sauce, in a caramel sauce, in cookies, and smells great when cooked together with butter. It's sweeter than white sugar but it is tasty.

White sugar, I hope this is known where it should be used. In coffee, tea, cookies, cakes, sauce, fresh fruit and so on... Sugar is a delectable treat, but can get the best of you.

There are a lot of spices you can buy that are a mix. Cajun seasoning, garlic pepper, Italian seasoning, and Jamaican blend (these are just a few that I personally have in the cupboard). I use them when flavoring meat and pasta, and sometimes french fries.

This is a small lesson in spices, but these are some of my more important ones. If you want to know more, just ask. I will give you my best answer :)

Until next time, have a sweet day!

No comments:

Post a Comment