Popular Posts

Monday, August 5, 2013

Non-Edible Creation

So I've been cooking up something lately... It just isn't something to eat. Shocker, I know. We are in the process of moving into our first home and I am looking for ways to cut corners, save some money, do it myself, and still have my house look great.

I saw a pin on Pinterest where she made her clear plastic drawers look more classy and was able to match it to her bathroom decor (it was a small drawer)... So the wheels in my head started turning. I have 4 sets of those drawers split between my kids rooms. Lets face it, they hold a lot and are cheaper than a dresser. But they are clear and show everything that is in the drawers... So I took a little trip to good ol' Walmart.

I bought some craft paint ($.57 each):



And a pack of foam paint brushes:

And then I got to work. The trick to this project was painting the inside of the drawer. When I first started painting it looked streaky and I was thinking, great, these are going to look terrible. But the trick is to move from one side to the other, using the same stroke pattern (long horizontal strokes were what I did) and to use a lot of paint (and keep your brush coated with paint). I let the first coat dry and then added another coat. Once dry and placed back into the proper drawer cubby you would never be able to tell that it didn't come that way. Yes, if you hold the drawer up toward the light you will see some streaks, but that wasn't my plan for the drawers. 



 
The drawers in their drying process.


Eventually, I may add a top coat so the paint doesn't scratch off. But most of my drawers are being used for clothing, so the scratching should be minimal. The picture below is the first set of drawers I did. I will add more once they are dry.


Good luck with your project.

More pictures:

The drawers while they were still drying ^



Finished product for my sons room.

No comments:

Post a Comment